Business Growth Programme: Understanding & Creating Financial Accounts
Understanding & Creating Financial Accounts
This workshop will take place on Thursday 22nd October from 09:30 – 12:30.
The core financial aspects of running a business are important for every business owner to understand. The workshop initially examines attendees’ understanding of financial accounts and builds on these skills, giving business leaders the confidence to oversee or manage financial performance. Understanding your accounts is crucial to increasing your business’ resilience to change, which is important now more than ever with Covid-19 and Brexit heavily impacting our economy and society.
The workshop is aimed at owners and directors of businesses within the early years of growth, without an in-house finance team. It will cover some of the basics and go more into depth where attendees need it. The following topics will be covered:
- Learning how to record profit and loss accounts (and interpret them)
- Learning how to create cashflow forecasts and build financial resilience
- Understanding what balance sheets tell you, and how to create them
Attendees will be sent templates prior to the workshop so that they can work on their own business accounts in real time. Attendees can receive a 30-60-minute one-to-one with the Delivery Partner, Chris Sharkey, which can be arranged following the session.
This is part of a 3-part Funding & Finance workshop, the other two sessions are ‘Sourcing and Preserving Funding in an Economic Downturn’ and ‘Pricing for Profit’. Please visit our Eventbrite page and book onto these separately if you would like to attend.
Introduction to the workshop Delivery Partner
Chris Sharkey led a successful 38-year career in Corporate and Commercial Banking, with previous roles including Regional Board member for Royal Bank of Scotland Corporate Banking, and Regional Director North West of England for Santander Corporate Banking UK. In 2016 he decided to leave banking and set up as a sole trader to support businesses and entrepreneurs across the North West. Chris now delivers lectures at the University of Chester and business training courses across a range of subjects including Funding & Finance, Leading Teams, Effective Networking, Product and Service Lifecycles, Pricing, and Cashflow Management.
Who can attend?
You need to be registered, or be eligible to register, on the ERDF-funded Cheshire and Warrington Business Growth Programme. To be eligible you must be:
- Small – your business must be a registered SME. An SME has under 250 staff, turnover of £45 million and any ownership by a wider commercial group is below 25%.
- Local – your business address (registered or trading) is within the Cheshire East, the Cheshire West and Chester, or the Warrington council areas.
- Able to commit to receiving 12 hours of support through our workshops and 1:1s before September 2021, and must not have achieved over 18 hours of support already.
- For this workshop you should be an early-mid growth business without an in-house finance team.
Please contact us to discuss the support if you’re unsure at email@example.com or 01244 512 655.
How to join the workshop
Once you have registered your interest through Eventbrite, a member of the team will be in contact to confirm your eligibility and place on the workshop. You will then be provided with a link to join the sessions via Zoom. If you have not used Zoom before, try downloading and testing it out beforehand. Here is a link to some tutorials if you struggle or you can email us firstname.lastname@example.org.